Privilege, Power, and Difference - Allan G. Johnson

Argument Statement:

Johnson argues that those without privilege cannot disrupt the systems in place without the help of those benefiting from privilege.


Talking Points: 

1. Something that immediately grabbed my attention during my reading in Chapter 1 was the mention of how men treat women in regards to violence and harassment. Johnson says that this treatment is epidemic in the U.S. and shows no sign of diminishing. After reading this portion of the text, I immediately turned to the cover to check when it was published. I found this to be a very jarring and accurate claim now in the year 2018. I can't help but wonder how social media has only enhanced harassment and discrimination.

2. During my reading, I found myself retreading portions of Chapter 2, particularly the mention of certain language that those of privilege react negatively to:

    • Privilege, racism, sexism, Antisemitism, hetero-sexism, classism, dominance, subordination, oppression, and patriarchy.
    • Johnson mentions that white males feel uncomfortable about these words and often times discredit them or take them as personal insults against them. Johnson states that reclaiming these words for sake of discussion is the first step in the right direction. They allow us to see our reality and bring about change. But how does one eliminate the personal connection carried with them?
3. In chapter 3, Johnson mentions that an individual is "considered a member of the lowest status group from which they have any heritage." He goes on to explain that those who navigate life with relative ease are those who have been "unmarked." Immediately following this, Johnson addresses the male/heterosexual readers that have reacted negatively to his statements. Johnson explains that if attempting to negate these notions, the reader is experiencing a more complex view of privilege in action. On more than one occasion, Johnson addresses this demographic of reader. But I wonder how many who feel this way seek out these texts? How do you reach those that resentment? What biases or close minded mindsets do I myself have as a heterosexual male? I often find myself asking more questions than discovering answers.  

Comments

Popular Posts