Being an Ally / Teaching at the Intersections

“Honor and teach about your students’ multiple identities.”

I’ve heard of the term intersectionality and scratched the surface of the topic before, but Teaching at the Intersections offers a thoughtful and thorough look at intersections and how to navigate the topic both in and out of the classroom.

What is intersection? According to the article “Intersectionality refers to the social, economic and political ways in which identity-based systems of oppression and privilege connect, overlap and influence one another.”

For Monita T. Bell, it’s “recognizing that race-, gender- and class-related circumstances are contributing to...achievement issues.”

Bell paints the picture of a student not showing up to class - something I think all teachers can relate to. However, Bell suggests that there are many complexities that can result in absenteeism beyond lack of motivation. It is up to educator’s to look through the lens of intersectionality and push for change in the classroom.

The article mentions Kimberlé Crenshaw, who coined the term intersectionality in 1989. In her book, “Demarginalizing the Intersection of Race and Sex: A Black Feminist Critique of Antidiscrimination Doctrine, Feminist Theory and Antiracist Politics.” she looked at how the legal system handled race and sex discrimination claims. Crenshaw found that black women—historically lacking race, gender and class privilege—consistently had their claims of discrimination denied.

Bell points out that the problem doesn’t only lie in the multiple identities. The issue is the oppression each identity faces. One person with multiple identities is feeling the combined oppression of each. For example, an African American girl from a low income community has a very different experience from say a white male from a middle class community.

I think this is where 5 Tips For Being An Ally would be a beneficial resource, particularly for those that don’t feel multiple oppressions. This video states that sometimes people (those benefiting from their privilege) try and act as allies, supporting the oppressed and pushing for change. However, despite good intentions, some allies fail to understand their role as allies.

According to the video, allies should follow these steps:
 
  1. Understand your privilege
  2. Listen and do your homework
  3. Speak up not over
  4. You’ll make mistakes! Apologize when you do.
  5. Ally is a verb.

I think this was a really great and concise video/resource. I have actually seen this before, at the beginning of my TFA experience. I think this goes a long way now that I’ve had a year of teaching experience. I appreciate the simplicity of this and the use of analogies, Franchesca Ramsey clearly attempts to clear up confusion while offering sound advice.

Ramsey makes sure to clarify that privilege doesn’t mean someone is rich or has life easy, it means some people don’t have to think about things others do. I think that’s a critical distinction to make. I also think understanding that we’re all going to make mistakes and to be able to embrace those and apologize is such a big component to being an ally.

Often times, I myself already have a rebuttal or “but” statement when I’m called out for something rather than just listening and owning up. Although I’ve never experienced this in regards to be an ally but it’s something I should be prepared for if I’m going to be an ally for my students.  

Comments

  1. The video hit the nail on the head...ally is a verb! I, too, have responded with a 'but'; however, I am learning the art of listening. I hope to bring the important statements of I hear you, I see you, I believe you to my class and to my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the goal here is to be ok with not always being in control, not always having the right answer, or response...to recognize our own defensiveness, and keep it in check. We must be vulnerable and human enough to learn from those we teach.

    Maria- I love those statements you plan to incorporate into your practice;
    "I hear you, I see you, I believe you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CherylAnn. This has truly struck something to the core....

      Delete
    2. Love the comments cherylann and maria! It is pretty powerful to convey to students that you are learning from them -- it happens so much more than they know and when you share that it is amazing to see the impact it can have on them! Students are so lucky to interact with you both!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your thoughts Vinny! I was especially humbled by your last thought recognizing that while you may not have a moment to recall when you had an "oops I need to step back and listen" experience being an ally, you can recall other moments where you felt a similar way and recognize the importance to "stay in your lane".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad this ally work is resonating with you all. This is the key to taking theory to action!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts