GLSEN & Safe Spaces - Vaccaro, August, Kennedy

Argument Statement:

Vaccaro, August, and Kennedy argue that a classroom culture of inclusiveness must be publicly made with the support of students in order to create a safe space for the LGBT youth.


Talking Point 1:

"Youth who see themselves as wise or powerful main characters or heroes worthy of celebration and emulation will feel validated...LGBT youth rarely have this experience."

This quote immediately reminded me of a friend's posting on social media after seeing the film Love, Simon. Growing up as a gay male, he was used to seeing films depicting gay characters as depressed and filled with shame. These movies were almost always very dark.

Love, Simon, however, was the opposite. The protagonist was apprehensive about coming out but the movie stepped back from the usual tropes about this subject manner. The character was celebrated and it was overall a very positive film.



Talking Point 2:

"When someone with the authority of a teacher, say, describes the world and you are not in it, there is a moment...as if you looked into a mirror and saw nothing." - Adrienne Rich

There is a section in the reading talking about how a teacher didn't acknowledge a students desire to shorten his name to a gender neutral one. I actually remember when a student during my year decided to change her name from male to female. She was very upfront, I called her name during attendance and she kindly said "Could you call me ____ instead?" At the time I made some assumptions about her transitioning as her attire changed throughout the year.

It was a pretty seamless name transition, occasionally I would call her by her old name and I'd immediately correct myself, apologize quick, and continue with the lesson. Some students would smirk and I'd just give them a quick glance -- not a mean glance, just one that showed it was nothing to dwell on. I think overall, I had a very understanding room and a strong student to make the transition so boldly.


Talking Point 3:

I think this is a really sobering read and highlights how much I don't do to support the LGBT community. I, along with another teacher, held a student workshop in my classes about anti-bullying and accepting everyone, despite differences. A lot of topics surrounding the LGBT community came up and for the most part the students were very respectful. We created posters and they are still on my wall. We're going to continue this next year as well.

But there is such an absence of these topics in my curriculum, I don't think they exist at all. I constantly go back to the idea where I feel like I do things to check off a box rather than to better my students, myself, my school, and society. I A lot of these feelings come from the reflection points offered throughout the text. They are really a nice moment to step back and connect personally. 





Comments

Popular Posts